Are you interested in expanding your family-friendly benefits but unsure of how to get started? Below are practical steps you can take.
Know the law.
The first step is to understand federal and state laws that apply to pregnant workers or workers with caregiving responsibilities. See Understanding the Law for a brief overview and links to more resources. Consult with your legal advisors to ensure compliance with federal and state obligations.
- Full print version of the Guide to Family Forward Workplaces
- Sample Employee Survey
- Child Care Needs Assessment
- Current Policy Assessment Worksheet
- Sample Policies
This calculator shows how much an employee currently costs an employer beyond wages, including taxes and current benefits offered.
Humana has two calculators. The first calculator gives your employees an overview of baseline monthly expenses, and the second calculator helps employers understand what benefits will cost for health, vision, and dental.
This calculator gives an employer a true cost for an employee and provides an overview of labor costs, payroll taxes and overhead.
- Bird, Liz; Gabrielle Fitzgerald; Shalini Unnikrishnan; Trish Stoman; and Wendy Woods. “Why Paid Family Leave is Good Business.” Boston Consulting Group. February 7, 2017. https://www.bcg.com/en-us/publications/2017/human-resources- people-organization-why-paid-family-leave-is-good-business.aspx Return to footnote #1 referrer
- Ernst and Young. “Viewpoints on paid family and medical leave.” March 2017. https://www.ey.com/Publication/ vwLUAssets/EY-viewpoints-on-paid-family-and-medical-leave/$FILE/EY-viewpoints-on-paid-family-and-medical-leave. pdf Return to footnote #2 referrer
- Craighill, Peyton and Danielle Paquette. “The surprising number of parents scaling back at work to care for kids.” The Washington Post. August 6, 2015. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-surprising-number-of-moms- and-dads-scaling-back-at-work-to-care-for-their-kids/2015/08/06/c7134c50-3ab7-11e5-b3ac-8a79bc44e5e2_story. html?utm_term=.bd7035932210. Return to footnote #3 referrer
- The Work Institute. “2018 Retention Report.” https://workinstitute.com/about-us/news-events/articleid/2259/2018%20 retention%20report Return to footnote #4 referrer